[Shotimes] Running Lean in my 90!

Mike Murphy murphymike@hotmail.com
Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:29:46 +0000

I do have a 2.5 tube Magnaflow muffler exhaust on her.

Good idea on the 02s.  I didn't get a code from those but I'm going to
change them out anyway to rule out anything.

She starts up and runs great. Doesn't burn any oil and purrs.  I lined up
against two stock SHOs yesterday for "testing" and both walked easily on me.

Maintainance has been done.

Thanks for the info Mr. Kerby

Murph

From: "kerbyh@netzero.net" <kerbyh@netzero.net>
To: murphymike@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Running Lean in my 90!
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:19:02 GMT

With nothing but a high flow exhaust these things start running on the lean
side.  Make sure your O2 sensors are up to snuff, and you may need to fatten
up the fuel curve a bit with either a chip or one of those tuners, or
something.  Years ago Ted Breaux figured out the bumble bee farting noise
these things make is from a slightly lean mixture.  The high flow exhaust
just make it worse.  If most everything else is stock, it doesn't make much
difference.  But if you are adding NOS, then it could be a real problem.  As
you well know.

That's my 2cents...

Kerby

-- "Mike Murphy" <murphymike@hotmail.com> wrote:
Howdy all,

Went to the dyno and found out my motor is running lean.

Have a new 190 fuel pump and fuel filter.  Also have changed plugs, wires
and MAF to no avail. Feels like my motor is lacking umph.

My question is that for the 89/90s they have a high/low voltage switch for
the fuel pump.  Can I bypass the switch so it will run high only?  Would the
switch make the computer wacky with the 190?

When I go WOT and hit my 65shot of juice my a/f goes dangerously lean at
first but comes back down.....but not where it should be.  I'm guessing the
fuel pump is in low voltage then hits the high.

Thanks mucho for help.

Murph