[Shotimes] Re: 96 SHO Brakes - thunderhill

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally" <marknunnally@JoiMail.com
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:18:50 -0400

> > A slightly related question-
> >
> > What are some recommended manufacturers/stores to go to for rotors?  Is
> > there such a thing as a rotor that is resistent to warping?  Is there a
> > benefit to the cryo treatment?

FWIW for the 96 brakes anyway, I had really good luck with the OEM Ford
units.  I ran a set on my 92 from the convention in '99 at Road Atlanta, all
the way till a track day in May of '02.  Put about 80k on them in between,
with maybe 1/2 dozen track events on them.  Went through about 4-5 sets of
pads, but rotors stayed true till I finally took them off (the last track
event the pads went to the backing plate and tore up the rotors the last few
laps).

When I put together the black 89 in early '02, the 92 got "retired" from
track duty (although due to a problem I ran it that May for a track day).
At 204,000 miles (by the time I hit CA) I'm bringing it out of track
"retirement" for Thunderhill.  I didn't have time to switch the Wilwoods
from the 89 to it, so whoever is in my group don't get in front of me, I may
end up in your trunk after a few laps <G>  I think Josh said he was bringing
a set of C-tech panther pads for me, hopefully they'll work.  I've been
spoiled by the ww's the last few years.

even put an oil pan gasket set on it last week, said screw it to the bottom
end bearings.  204k and I'll be singing it at 7k all day next Wed :)

we leave tomorrow, actually impressed with how good the old gal looks after
spending all day with the buffer on it.

mark (be doing 120 mph across Oklahoma by tomorrow)