[Shotimes] Shaking at 70

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:24:08 -0700

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:44:02 -0400, cmichaelo@optonline.net wrote:

>First time around, it turned out that the two of my wheels centerbore was not centered, i.e., the wheel was incorrectly manufactured.

>Second time this happened to me was with another set of wheels which I suspect were not properly balanced but almost so.  I suspect that there is a slight imbalance in the front left rotor which offsets the equally slight imbalance of the wheel.

Now see....??

All of these other experiences just prove my point.

You HAVE GOT to true up and balance the tire/wheel assemblies ON the car to get a
PERFECT balance.  There's NO way around it, no matter what kind of excuses anyone
wants to pipe up with.

Manufacturers of cars can boast all day that their rotating assemblies are
balanced... .....phooey!

Aftermarket wheel and brake rotor/drum manufacturers can say the same thing...
....phooey!

Electronic computer balancers can brag all day how close their balance jobs are...
....phooey!

If a person is satisfied with a "_close_" balance job, fine.  When one is running a
stiff strut, a stiff spring, and a stiff tire, it doesn't take much to mess it all
up.  Close is then only as near to perfect as the proverbial cigar.  If I want my
rattletrap SHO (NOT!) to be as smooth as the Lexus, then I have to do a little extra
work on the balance.

I'm glad to do it.  There's nothing like a smoooooooooth ride on smooth pavement on
round tires at 75 or more MPH in a SHO when I'm roaring all the way across the
country to a SHO convention.

George