[Shotimes] Home from SHO Convention #12

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@peoplepc.com
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:37:02 -0500

Paul:
 Have you ever changed the fuel pump? Was the pump running continuously at
the high speeds? If this is the factory pump then I think the problem was/is
the fuel pump. Don't put a stock one in it's cheaper to use the 190 LPH
Walbro unit.
.
.

> As most of you know the car died in the Mojave Desert on the way out while
> going close to 100 mph in 105 degree heat at over 5000 feet above sea
level.
> We had it towed in and checked out at the FORD dealer in Mojave, CA.  Of
> course it started right up and ran fine while they were looking at it.
> Finally changed the fuel filter because it seemed a little clogged up.
The
> dealer had interesting SHO stories of his own since he had driven one for
> several years.  Said he even had a complete engine out back that had a
> "knock" in it when new.  Even though the performance seemed fine, it was
> changed out under warranty and somehow FORD never wanted the one that came
> out.  We cruised on into Vallejo on Monday without incident even with
> spirited driving along the way.
>
> On Friday when we were on the way home, as we were topping a long uphill
> climb out in the desert at close to triple digits in 98 degree weather the
> car shut off again.  After coasting down the hill for about a mile, I
> stopped the car and it started right back up.   The car idled fine and we
> decided to take it easy to see if it would be okay at lower speeds and
under
> less stress.  We made it all the way home from there without problems
other
> than traveling a little slower than we would have liked.
>
> Any ideas on what is going on with the car?  Seemed fine except under
fairly
> extreme conditions.  It never over heated but did move up very high in the
> normal range while under the stress of the outside heat and speed.

 Paul & Rosetta "never so glad to be off of the road" Thomas