[Shotimes] KYBs, was (OT) SHO replacement

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:43:50 -0400

After 5,500 miles on the KYB/Eibach combo, I like them. My experience pretty
much tracked what Kirk found when he put them on his '91 with Eibachs. This
is that the compression is very hard at first, and the rebound almost seems
too soft. This is on the fronts. The rears seem well-tied-down from the
start. FWIW, the black-housing rears are made in Italy, the silver-housing
fronts were China, IIRC. As they got some miles, the compression loosened up
a bit, and the rebound seems better. This was also with a well-loaded car
for those 5,500 miles.

With 10 miles on them, I hit the bad stretch of I-69 between Lapeer Road and
I-75 (you know that area, Dave). They felt as harsh as the Koni/Eibach combo
that I had a few years ago!

On the way to CA, Larry Eck mentioned that the front of the car seemed to
bounce around on the rough road through the mountains in eastern Utah. By
the time we hit that stretch on the way home, they had settled down.

They worked very well on the track (Thunderhill)

Overall, for someone who likes a very tied-down, tight-feeling suspension,
they are not what you want. For a car that lives on rough Midwestern roads,
they are nice for daily driving. With the good compression, they work on the
freeway ramps that I hit once or twice a week (when there is not other
traffic.....which is rare). After having the Koni/Eibach, then the
Tokico/Eibach setups, living with a rougher ride for 99.99% for an
occasional run through a smooth corner is not worth it to me.

I would not use them on a car that was primarily for the track, but for
real-world driving, they work well and are priced right. IMHO, better tires
and springs do more for the handling, anyway. I am not a believer in using
struts as a band-aid for inadequate spring rates.

Ron