[Shotimes] (OT) SHO replacement

Mark Kelley mkelley1@gt.rr.com
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:40:32 -0500

I can vouch for the Mazda 6 being a good replacement.  I recently purchased
a 2004 Mazda 6 V6 model.  Very similar in size and performance (although I
think the 6 handles better stock vs. stock due to it's more advanced
suspension).  The V6 is little down on torque compared to the Yamaha but get
the revs up and it hustles the car along pretty good.  It's starting to
garner some aftermarket support so the guys who just can't leave anything
alone will be happy.  If you really want performance, wait for the
Mazdaspeed 6.  Autoweek is reporting the specs as being AWD with a twin
turbo 4 making around 270-280HP.

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of bjshov8
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 8:50 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] (OT) SHO replacement

> As for SHO replacments I can think of a few in the same catagory. I can
think of dozens of fast fun cars to drive.

To me the SHO is a combination of performance, cost, efficiency and utility.
With this in mind it is somewhat harder to replace.  I used to think the
Maxima was the closest replacement, with the Acura 3.2TL-S next in line.
I've noticed that the Mazda 6 may be the closest replacement yet- it is at a
good price point, has a similar size engine with similar horsepower, and has
performance to match the gen1/2 SHO.

I sense that a lot of the list members are now able to move up the price
ladder and replace their SHO's with something that stickers one or 2 classes
above the SHO.  This opens the possibilities a lot but then these cars are
less equal as SHO replacements.

As for me I'm inclined to consider a G35 as a possible replacement.
Unfortunately the cheapest one that I could get would be twice what I paid
for my gen1 SHO new, and 4 times what I paid for my gen3 used.