[Shotimes] (OT) SHO replacement

Ian Fisher dataflash@yahoo.com
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:48:48 -0700 (PDT)

I guess it depends on if you are comparing automatics
to 5 speeds. The new Maxima's will blow away the
SHO's. The SHO's are quicker than the Mazda 6's. As
far as utility, the SHO may as well be a Camaro with a
large trunk as the back seat is useless unless the
front passengers are dwarfs with the seats all the way
up. Even so, there isn't much headroom for the tall
folk in the back. The SHO trunk is better than nothing
but it is not great. I also hate the large rear
valance on the SHO that prevents one from pushing or
pulling items in and out of the trunk. This was common
on cars of this generation so I can't fault the SHO
for being a product of its times. I do think that the
4-6th gen Maxima's make much better use of interior
space in a slightly smaller car (5th and 6th gen
excluded-they only got bigger with age).

I don't know too much about the Mazda 6 except that
they are quick but not as fast as an SHO. My old
roomate has one and he upgraded the projector
headlights to xenon with great results. That is a plus
IMHO. The Mazdaspeed 6 does sound interesting though.
By the way, I am judging all of these cars as if they
had manual transmissions. I personally would not buy
another automatic so that's what's important to me...

my 2 cents
Ian