[Shotimes] (OT) SHO replacement

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:47:12 -0700

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:34:19 -0700 (PDT), John Stout wrote:

>George I got 2 words, "Detroit Locker"

Yep..that's a good one.  I have one on the Boss.  But the basic 9 inch is all that
the 6 cyl Mustang needs.  The Locker would be a good option for all the V-8's.

The carrier bearings are what go first on the 8.8 inch, and that takes out the
gears.  Also, the axles have no bearing races....the rollers ride on the axle shaft
itself.  Totally cheap.

My local dealer rebuilt one on my daughter's '94, and it went 8 miles during testing
before it quit.  They never even delivered the car to me....just did it again.  That
one lasted about 8 thousand miles.

They rebuilt the one that came in my '95 Cobra convert, after 1500 original
miles....not 'thousand', but 'hundred'.  It went 150 miles, about half a tank of
gas, and then ate the 3:55 gearset I bought and had them install.  They tried to
adjust it, and the howling didn't get any worse, but it didn't get any better.  I
sold it that way.

Stay away from me with 8.8 axles.  The Crown Vic has one, and it has started howling
since I towed the Plus from Hell back home from Ok City in 2002.  It has 40,000
miles, and the warranty goes out in February.  I've had the car parked, but I'm
going to drive it this winter, so the howling will get worse, and they can rebuild
it, for the first of how many times....as long as I take it back before a year or
12,000 miles pass.

George