[Shotimes] Overheat - Part II

Steve Tatro Steve Tatro <stevetatro_shotimes@earthlink.net>
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:20:46 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I just replaced the thermostat.  I'm now a thermostat-changing-expert, having essentially done it twice in the last two days (yesterday I changed the temp gauge sender).

No help.  I got done, refilled with my trusty 50/50 mix, took it out and beat the car to a pulp, and the gauge read above the "N" in no time.  Limped home to let her take a break.

So, who else (besides me) thinks it's a bad radiator?

To answer some of the questions people have asked:

Don, I haven't cleaned out the fins nor the condensor.  If anyone has any more detailed instructions on how to do this I'd appreciate it.

Chris, I haven't gotten an actual temperature reading, but my gauge has always seemed okay.  Besides, the sender is new and didn't affect the readings.  The gauge stays pretty steady.  Either on hot (on the highway) or really hot (in stop-and-go).  I just removed a 2-year old Ford Revised-B thermostat and replaced it with a Stant.  As I mentioned, no difference.

Would a real radiator flow test tell me for sure if the radiator is in need of replacing?

Chris, I may take you up on your offer for help as I've never changed a radiator.  I assume it's not too difficult, but I usually find a way to screw things up ;^)

Thanks,

Steve