[Shotimes] Overheat - Part II

Paul L Fisher sho@paul-fisher.com
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:39:17 -0500

When you pressure test the cooling system, it automatically does "a pressure
test on the block", unless they mean a compression test?

Paul L Fisher

'99 Ford Taurus SHO Toreador Red Clearcoat Metallic 68K - Kirk'ed 2/29/04

 - Amsoil Two-Stage Air Filter - TS-124
 - Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30
 - Amsoil Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

SHO Club member http://www.shoclub.com/
Check out my web site http://www.paul-fisher.com/
Amsoil dealer http://www.paul-fisher.com/oil.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Steve Tatro
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 5:55 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Overheat - Part II

Thanks to everyone who responded with advice.  I had the system pressure
tested, everything there was fine.  I also had a pressure test done on the
block, at least that's what they told me, and there's apparently no head
gasket problem.  Sort of what I expected since it seems HG failures are so
rare on the SHO.  For the heck of it I paid them the exhorbitant amount they
demanded to do a chemical flush/refill of my coolant system.

On the way home, same thing.  Temperature goes waaay up to the "N" in
NORMAL, even a bit past a couple of times.  This was on the highway going
anywhere from 65 to 80 mph.  It seemed to help a *bit* if I made sure to get
in some clean air instead of "drafting" the car in front of me, but not
much.  What did help (and kept me from overheating) was switching the EATC
to FLOOR and turning the heat all the way up.

Does any of this help anyone make a long-distance guess as to the problem?
Theoretically the car shouldn't even need a cooling fan at that speed,
right?  So I should be able to cross that off the list.  Besides, even
putting the EATC in full AUTO didn't help, even though it forces the fan on
(AFAIK).

I guess there are three things I can think of: thermostat, radiator, water
pump.  Thermostat replaced a couple of years ago, radiator about 5 years old
(but always with plenty of fresh green coolant), water pump about 2 years
old (went bye-bye suddenly one day).

Ideas?  I appreciate it.

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 178k miles