[Shotimes] SEMI OT SHO replacement and my Ramblings on the subject

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:30:26 -0400

Nice post, Dave.

There is just one misconception that a lot of people seem to have. To wit,
there are folks who buy new cars, and there are enthusiasts of those same
cars who join clubs.

All of the comments about BMW/Porsche/MB/Lexus owners is not really valid,
and it pointed at a lot of the purchasers of the new cars. Hell, there were
a lot of new SHO owners who were also not very friendly, and really didn't
care what kind of car that they had!

All of the folks that I have met in clubs have generally had slightly older
cars (but not always), and have always been great folks. And, they also
currently own/used to own other performance cars, so they are not a snob for
any one make. In fact, the "snobs on a single make" attitude is more
prevalent in the SHO community, but I chalk it up to youth & inexperience
with having driven/owned other fine performance cars.

The folks in my PCA (Porsche Club of America) regions have been great, and
in general are more into track work than the SHO folks. Also had met the MB
club both in KY & MI (they do stuff with PCA), and they are nice folks. Same
with the BMWCCA folks (who also join PCA for events), and a few of my
friends who have owned BMWs for years (and yes, do their own work) belong to
BMWCCA. It was also a ball hanging out with the Fiero folks at their
National Convention that was here last year!

One common thread with the other clubs is that the "club car" is not their
only vehicle, and they have other vehicles for daily drivers and/or
collections. In case folks haven't noticed, this is also happening with the
SHO owners, and many, if not all, of the older owners do not use their
SHO(s) as daily transportation anymore, and have other nice vehicles.

Most of the "SHO snobbishness" I see is from the younger folks who have the
SHO as their only vehicle. That's fine, most will grow out of it and get
smart.

This is not a knock on SHO folks, as I will most likely continue to hang
with SHO folks even during the upcoming times when I don't have a SHO. In my
mind, the SHO is already moving into to collector/toy car status for many,
and when we speak of "replacement" cars, we speak of vehicles that are
needed to provide the reliable daily transportation that the SHO is getting
less capable of doing.