[Shotimes] Retrofitting A/C

Jonas Diener jdiener@rosettastone.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:29:51 -0400

Hmm.  The used assembly I got off eBay came with the ends sealed up
tight with duct tape.  Not knowing any better, I removed the duct
tape when I thought I was going to install the line, and left it off
until I actually installed it about 4 days later.

I figured out which is the low side -- The one my charging tool fits
on to by the firewall.  I also found the oil and refrigerant capacity
on a label under the hood -- 8 oz ester oil and 31 oz 134a.

I was all ready to charge it, but I couldn't get the compressor to
kick in.  So I wound up taking it to a shop and they charged it for
me.  He said there's a low-pressure safety switch you need to jumper
to start the compressor when it's not charged.

So it's blowing cold air now.  We'll see if it holds up.

BTW, if you ever have to replace the evaporator, do yourself a favor
and attach the hoses before you tighten down the nuts that hold the
core housing in.  Otherwise you'll need to remove the rear exhaust
manifold heat shield to get the hose on, and cuss and bend the shield
to get it to clear the now attached hose to get it back on.

Now I have another problem puzzling me.  If I accelerate hard and
then let off the gas, the tachometer will sometimes twitch towards
zero, and the CEL will always illuminate a few seconds afterward.

I pulled the continuous codes and I get a 212 and 219.  Both seem to
indicate a loss of spark signal (SPOUT).  I would suspect a wiring
problem except that it always happens when letting off the gas after
hard acceleration, never at any other time.

I recall my Mustang has a "SPOUT connector", which is just a small
jumper (maybe a resistor) that you remove to inhibit spark advance.
Do Gen 2 SHOs have one of these?  I looked and couldn't find one.  If
mine is simply missing, that would be a real easy problem to fix.

I have already replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, DIS module,
HEGO sensors, plug well seals, plugs, and ignition wires, so they can
be ruled out.

Maybe I'll pull out the PCM and see if someone stuck a chip on it...

It's a 92 MTX in case you missed my first post.