[Shotimes] SHO engine in RWD

Ron Nottingham ron@v6sho.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:07:44 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Mallinson" <dmall@mwonline.net>

> Thanks for all the info on the tranny swap issue.  I would
> have thought that the 5-speed from the van or pickup would
> be fine with the SHO engine, at least in mostly stock form
> due to the heavier duty application needed for anything in
> truck form or a van expected to haul big loads.  But maybe not.

Well, the 3.0L Vulcan in the Aerostar and Ranger aren't considered HD by
Ford and are not recommended for towing. The 4.0L V6 versions, OTOH, do have
a tow rating. But, IIRC, the 4.0L V6 belhousing is similar to the 5.0L V8
and 3.8L V6 housings and not the 3.0L V6.

The TR-7 SHO used an A4LD, along with a turbo, but I think this guy was just
really lucky it didn't bite the dust.

The T5 from the Z31 (84-89 300zx turbo only) will work, the 5-speed from a
Z32 (90-96 300zx turbo or n/a) should work, and the 6-speed from a Z33
(2003- Z car) may work also.

Ron Nottingham - Dalton, GA
90 SHO
89 325i
(OO==00==OO)
"It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile"

---