[Shotimes] Inner Tie Rod Ends?

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:28:14 -0700

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:41:43 -0500, kickinsho wrote:

>He is wondering if there are inner tie rod ends on the Gen I, if
>so, what does it all take to replace them.  The reason for the question is
>that he is getting a clunking noise and can't find it.  The only time he
>doesn't hear it is when he is on the brake.
>
>He said he has gone through just about everything and can't figure it out, and
>the literature he has isn't helping him.

The inner tie-rods are what are left after you unscrew the outer tie rod end off.
They are a ball and socket affair that screws on the ends of the rack where it
protrudes out of the rack housing.  They "usually" don't wear out, but as long as we
are driving these cars WAY past the time Ford thought they'd be hitting the scrap
heap, they can wear.  A special socket is required to remove them....after my
experience of having one come off the Slorider wagon while I was
driving....twice....I took Lowrider to a mechanic friend and had him swap them for
me....turns out that after all those miles, about 225,000, they were still good.
But now I know they are better than good.

A way to test them is to jack up the front end, lock the steering wheel from
turning, with the key out, and then try to wiggle each tire left and right, holding
it at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.  There should be very little movement.....you
could first wiggle it at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions to verify the wheel bearings
are good.  If the movement is no more at 3 and 9 than it is at 6 and 12, the tie
rods should be good.  As relatively small as the inner tie rods are, I wouldn't
expect much noise from them.....but I haven't heard the clunk.  It certainly is
possible it is them, but I suspect not.

Have him try that test, and see what he comes up with.

George