[Shotimes] (OT) curb-impact damage to RWD

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:18:03 -0500

I need help figuring out what's wrong with our Crown Vic.  My 16-year-old
overcooked a corner last week, in the rain, spun the car, and put the left
rear wheel into a curb.

The alloy rim is bent, no question.  We put a winter rim on to see if there
might be other damage.  It appears there is.  The brakes now "throb" (like a
warped rotor but worse) and the left rear rotor gets very hot quickly,
indicating drag.  Solid rotor about 1/2" thick, BTW, and Crown Vics also
have a small cable-operated drum brake inside the rotor hat.

What to do next?

--- I'm thinking of removing the rotor, taking it into a parts store, and
asking them to check on their lathe whether the rotor was bent.  Rotors are
cheap.

--- How would I know or test whether the caliper is damaged?  I suppose we
could replace it to rule it out.

--- The hub mounts to the solid axle with four bolts.  Is there any way to
check whether the hub, or the flange on the end of axle, is bent?

--- Or should I just put the winter tire back on, drive it to a collision
shop, and ask them to tell me what's wrong?

We're not affluent enough to just hand the car to a shop.  TIA for any help.

Joseph van Oss