[Shotimes] (OT) curb-impact damage to RWD

James F. Ryan III av8r567@optonline.net
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:08:57 -0400

JvO,

You could use a magnetic mount dial indicator ($20 to $200) to check the
runout of the hub face.  If the hub is nice and true, re-install the
disc and check the runout of it (or just replace it because as we know
the solid rotors are not forgiving when it comes to overheating).

Also, don't discount the parking brake.  Jeep Grand Cherokee's have a
similar drum brake inside of the disc hat.  If that little brake shoe
got bent it could be causing the drag and overheat, too.

To rule that out have you jacked up the rear end and rotated the rear
wheels with the parking brake applied and released?

Also, maybe the caliper mounting bracket got tweaked.

If you brought it to a shop I imagine they'd replace the rotor and
caliper (as SOP), and if the throbbing still existed they'd suspect the
caliper mount or the axle shaft.