[Shotimes] (OT) curb-impact damage to RWD

Paul L Fisher sho@paul-fisher.com
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:09:29 -0500

One thing to look at is to put a known straight wheel on and leave the wheel
off the ground and spin it while looking at it. If it still wobbles, they
you know that something underneath is bent.

Paul L Fisher

1999 Ford Taurus SHO TR 66K - Kirk'ed 2/29/04.

 - Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30
 - Amsoil TS-124 Oiled Foam air filter

Visit my website: http://www.paul-fisher.com
SHOClub Member: http://www.shoclub.com
Amsoil dealer: http://www.paul-fisher.com/oil

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of van Oss
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 12:18 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] (OT) curb-impact damage to RWD

I need help figuring out what's wrong with our Crown Vic.  My 16-year-old
overcooked a corner last week, in the rain, spun the car, and put the left
rear wheel into a curb.

The alloy rim is bent, no question.  We put a winter rim on to see if there
might be other damage.  It appears there is.  The brakes now "throb" (like a
warped rotor but worse) and the left rear rotor gets very hot quickly,
indicating drag.  Solid rotor about 1/2" thick, BTW, and Crown Vics also
have a small cable-operated drum brake inside the rotor hat.

What to do next?

--- I'm thinking of removing the rotor, taking it into a parts store, and
asking them to check on their lathe whether the rotor was bent.  Rotors are
cheap.

--- How would I know or test whether the caliper is damaged?  I suppose we
could replace it to rule it out.

--- The hub mounts to the solid axle with four bolts.  Is there any way to
check whether the hub, or the flange on the end of axle, is bent?

--- Or should I just put the winter tire back on, drive it to a collision
shop, and ask them to tell me what's wrong?

We're not affluent enough to just hand the car to a shop.  TIA for any help.

Joseph van Oss