[Shotimes] exhaust question

Bruce Malachuk bmalach1@nycap.rr.com
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:12:39 -0400

The 336k mile 94 MTX my brother just picked up, never having rod bearings or
a vlave lash I might add, has the original exhaust on it. Had a few replaced
OEM y-pipes as the previous owner lived in NJ and had tougher emissions to
pass.

The exhaust system on the SHO's are great for long time life. I'm slightly
sorry that I cut mine out on my 94 Opal Frost.

Bruce J Malachuk

*	94 Opal Frost MTX
*	93 Emerald Green MTX
*	93 Black ATX - parts
*	95 Silver Frost ATX SE - SLO

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Donald Mallinson
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 8:58 AM
To: ROBERT SCHIRMER
Cc: 'TaurusSHO'
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] exhaust question

Robert,

If there is one thing that Ford has done well the last decade or so is build
really long lasting decent exhaust systems.  If you don't cut them up to
change mufflers or other parts prematurely, they can last the lifetime of
the car. (200,000 miles and beyond.).  Of course, taking lots of short trips
can cut the life noticably, and if you take all long trips, it may never
wear out/rust through.

the Y-pipe/cats on the ATX are NOT the restriction problem that they are on
the MTX cars.  So I would not be in a hurry to replace that unless you are
just willing to spend money to get a few HP.  Unless the cats are plugged,
the factory ones aren't that much more restrictive than the aftermarket
ones.

Changing the Cat-back system can get you maybe 6-8 hp, but unless you spring
for stainless, you can expect a life of that new system of from 2-4 years
depending on driving style as mentioned above.  Some get more life, but
"aluminized"
systems don't last anywhere near as long as the Factory Ford system.

If your fuel mileage is still good and hasn't changed recently, I think it
is safe to say your cats are fine.

Don Mallinson
SHO Club