[Shotimes] HELP REQUEST

ROBERT SCHIRMER 1surferbum@msn.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:10:45 -0400

AL (for your help request)

This is based on my removal for my '93, 3.2 ATX starter (on the way to the
removal of my oil pan).  As you know, the starter is located up underneath,
near the drivers side of the radiator

  1.. Starter removal
    1.. Physical removal of the starter will start here, but the starter
cannot be physically removed until the #1 electrical connector covered in Step
2 below is done. The starter has two bolts that hold it in place. The bottom
bolt is a 13 mm. The top bolt is a 15 mm, and a real Pain to get on and off.
You must use a short socket on a 5 =" extension & an air ratchet; or you can
use a 2' extension and get to it thru the passenger side wheel well. Putting
the top bolt back into place during installation is a real pain.
  2.. Oil Cooler removal
    1.. remove the 2 small 8 mm bolts that hold the oil cooler in place  (to
the radiator??). This will give you room to get to the starter electrical
  3.. Starter electrical disconnection  (there are 3 electrical connections to
the starter)
    1.. . #1-Located on the drivers side of the starter, there is a stud that
physically holds the starter in place. It also has a large black wire that is
connected here. When you remove the nut, the stud comes with it. The long side
of the stud goes into the starter during installation.
    2..  #2- located on top of the starter on the passenger side, there is a
push on connector that has a small electrical wire.
    3.. #3- located on the passenger side of the starter, at the front, there
are 2 black /orange wires that connect onto this bolt. These are covered by a
red cover, which has to be pulled back to gain access to the nut.