Suspension design (was RE: [Shotimes] Chip Help)

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@adelphia.net
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:38:19 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

While I agree with your points from a purist perspective, I doubt that
Ford would ever consider items 2 and 3 as factory design points.
Especially 3 because a manufacturer will always err on the side of
understeer.

For 2, the original struts were good enough and I would hardly cite safety
as a concern with them.

For 1, again safety is not really an issue.  Your brakes stop the car,
right?  The issue with the brakes as I see it was one of quality.  I have
the benefit of being an original owner and got to see first hand how the
brake issue was dealt with.  It took years for Ford to recognize that the
brake design was undersized to deal with a 3500 lb car.  This is not to
say that the 10" brakes didn't stop the car, they did, but eventually the
rotors would warp and would need to be replaced causing major
dissatisfaction once the car got out of warranty.  I went through 5 sets
of rotors and a brake pad upgrade on Ford's nickel.  The problem was
eventually cured with PFCM pads that seemed to deal better with the
rotors.  Eventually Ford did 2 brake design upgrades on the SHO as
testament to the fact that they didn't get it right the first 2 times.

As an aside, I will probably scrap the Ford pads on my 96 brake upgrade in
favor of the PFCMs.  I have two datapoints now that these pads are much
kinder to the rotors and have the added benefit of more stopping power
when they are warmed up.
--
Cheers,
Carl Prochilo