[Shotimes] Chip Help

Bob C bcampbell10@woh.rr.com
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:43:27 -0400

I also have pretty much the same setup as Steve in my car. What I'm running
across is having to keep going back to a dyno and getting a a/f reading and
sending the chip back to Ted. With a little reading and understanding, and
about the same money as the chip and dyno time, IMHO a tweecer is the way to
go for me. I finally got my car onto a dyno last month and it was running
really rich. With the rt version of the tweecer you can have the stock D4U1
as the default setting just by switching the unit off and have 4 more switch
positions to play with the engine tune.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Tatro" <stevetatro_shotimes@earthlink.net>
To: "ROBERT SCHIRMER" <1surferbum@msn.com>; "TaurusSHO"
<shotimes@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Chip Help

> As someone already stated, the first upgrade you want is the D4U1
computer.  The H3Z program was apparently such a piece of crap that it
lasted one whole model year in the SHO, then they revised it and were happy
enough to use it for the final two years of the V6 ATX.

> I have a Ted B. LPM in my '93 ATX (with the D4U1).  He won't even program
one for the H3Z series computers; he'll tell you the same thing I am about
upgrading the computer first.  I think he still sells them for $200
programmed, which includes free lifetime reprograms (you pay the shipping
both ways, obviously).

> I tried a Superchip in my '93 ATX for about a week.  I was testing it for
another list member who thought it may be causing their car troubles.  It
didn't wreak any havoc on me, but man did the car slam into certain gears.
Especially the 1-2 shift; I thought the tranny was going to fall out.
Luckily I have a good rebuild with shift kit, etc. to stand up to some
abuse.  I would not feel comfortable putting my tranny through that on a
permanent basis.  We all know the sloppy factory 1-2 shift is bad, and a
quick firm shift is good, but the Superchip just takes it too far, IMO.

> Get the D4U1 and you'll know it's an upgrade immediately.  I was able to
feel the shifting improvements immediately.  The LPM just made it that much
better!