[Shotimes] Re: MY 1997 is for sale( read)

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:01:12 -0500

Personally, I don't care how Kirk sells his car, I hope he
gets top dollar and I think he should be able to sell it any
way he wants, BUT

I used to be in advertising, and we were always on the
lookout for the illegal lottery.  A lottery is defined as
having all three of these traits:

1.  Prize (the car is the prize)
2.  Chance (there is an element of chance in any drawing)
3.  Consideration (you pay money or do substantial work for
the "chance" to win.

so what is being discussed here is an illegal lottery in
most states, maybe everywhere, I am not a lawyer though, so
there may be some loophole for individuals?

Again, I don't care, I am just saying before any lottery is
held, Kirk should check into the legality of it, it may take
a permit, it may not be legal to accept "entries" from some
states.  You might be able to get around it like some did in
the past, you pay for a picture of the car, and the ticket
is free (not sure this still works, but it did for a while)

Of course if he gets what he is asking on E-bay, the point
is moot.

Wishing Kirk well, but just not wanting anyone to get in
trouble.

Don Mallinson