[Shotimes] BRAKE PROBLEMS (sorta long, but an easy read!)

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:33:34 -0400

Fronts:
Q: Are the pads wearing / grabbing evenly, or just one side?
One side would lead me to suspect pin issues.
My 89 SHO had original calipers & pins with 262 miles. But pin corrosion (in
NJ) caused me to find the pins needed cleaning more frequently than pad
changes, every 20-40k mi vs 60-80k for good $100 pads.
I found I had to emery cloth the pins, and grease them with silicone grease,
and replace the rubber seals occassionally. The pins should slide easily
under light finger pressure. The bracket holes I had to wirebrush /
sandpaper to clean. The pins should slide easily under light finger
pressure. I had one pin rust solid & lock-up in the bracket once.  Wear
clearances weren't the issue, it was rust build-up.

You can also test the front pistons for corrosion, open the bleeder valve,
and you should be able to move the piston with figer pressure, no sticking.
BTW the rear is different here. The rubber seal itself is all the pressure
there is that causes the piston to retract slightly from the rotor.

Rears: Make sure you check for restricted rear flex hoses. Open the bleeder
valve on a caliper and see if the e-brake works better. That brake that
won't grab should improve.

Lee