[Shotimes] (OT) audio advice, please: adding a sub to 94 CV

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Wed, 05 May 2004 08:47:38 -0500

I am a bass freak, not to the point of what kids do with rap
and other music where you can hear it all over town (small
town) at all times of the day and night, but nice deep bass
that I can enjoy inside the car.

My 89 was good to go except for not enough bass.  I added a
dedicated 200 watt amp, bridged to 400 watts and a 12" sub
in an enclosed box in the trunk.  The large pickup truck box
fits perfectly under the rear STB and isn't even bolted
down, so I can pull it out for racing.  Amp is hooked in
through the rear speakers with a simple adapter.  Amp output
is run stereo to mono inside the amp for a single voice coil
woofer, or you could run a double voice coil woofer and
eliminate some of the electronics.

I think good deep bass is what most systems need.

How does it get into the cabin?  Well, it does because real
bass is very low frequency and non-directional to the ears.
  The structure of the car transmitts the sound into the
cabin just fine for trunk mounted subs.  I found that when I
aimed my sub at the back of the back seat (facing forward),
that the sound was lousy.  We turned it around, facing to
the rear and the sound was great.  Every installation is a
little different.  Before building custom cabinets, get some
advice and do some crude experimenting.

A sub with box/amp all together (bass tube etc) might sound
great mounted in the RR corner of the trunk, but horrible
right behind the seat!  Having it bolted down helps transfer
the bass to the car.  If you don't go wild, a couple hundred
watts is plenty and 10" can get you real bass. More cabinet
is usually better than less.  I like sealed systems rather
than ported.  Sealed sound better for deep clean bass,
ported systems sound better for rap or boom bass.

Don Mallinson