[Shotimes] (OT) Re: NASCAR numbnuts

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally" <marknunnally@JoiMail.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 16:17:10 -0400

> Sure it's hard, but it doesn't compare to WRC, not even in the slightest.
> would pay money to watch a NASCAR boy try flying around a cliff edge in
the
> snow at 65mph in a power drift.

No need to pay money, it's been replayed on the speed channel several times
when the countries did the driver rally shoot-out somewhere in Europe.  IIRC
J. Gordon and Jimmie Johnson were there, and maybe 1-2 CART/IRL driver's
(can't remember).  Sorta like an International IROC race with rally cars on
a short course.  If memory serves correctly, I think the USA (gordon and
johnson) did pretty well.  I'm sure a quick search on the web you could find
the specifics.

>Maybe I was wrong to say that NASCAR isn't
> "Real Racing," but if NASCAR is "Real Racing" then what the HELL is Rally
> driving?

I would say they both are, and both require a ton of skill, just very
different obviously.

My point was simply don't take it out on the driver's, regardless of what
you don't or don't like about any series, the driver's are fantastic for the
most part.  Most drivers come up through the ranks in all types of series
and cars, and are pretty well rounded.  Most could get good seat time in
anything and do well in it.  NASCAR has a reputation of redneck southerners,
but most of the driver's in it today dont' come from those roots.

Stewart and Jr did pretty well at the 24 hrs of daytona this past year, with
stewart running like 2:13 laps with a broken RR suspension for several laps
trying to nurse the car home, in the rain on 3 wheels.  That's skills.  I
don't think you'd get any of those sports car guys to say they didn't belong
there.

Boris Said (great sports car racer) ran the Bud Shoot-out at Daytona this
past year since he got a pole at one of the Cup road course events, after
running 190 mph with the rest of the pack his response was "those guys are
nuts".

mark