[Shotimes] RE: OT Subarus and turbos and stuff . . .

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Fri, 01 Oct 2004 08:27:02 -0500

Dave,

The difference with the Buick turbo was that it was a
north/south configuration (RWD) and it took exhaust gas from
both manifolds, a lot easier to do with a RWD configuration,
  and the GN had a lot of underhood room!

As for someone posting that the Saab Faithful will stay away
if GM puts in "non-Saab" engines, I can see some of them
doing that, but really, a great engine is a great engine.
There were those that said they would never buy a Pontiac
with an oldsmobile (ok, bad example... :)  or Chevy Engine,
but the brand went on, and many of those people love the
newer Pontiacs and they are well excepted at the Pontiac
nationals.  The new GTO has already been accepted at the
GTOI nat, maybe not by everyone, but by most people.

I sold Saabs for a few years, and yes their 4 cyl engines
were pretty sturdy and made decent though not amazing power.
  Saab has had some neat engineering ideas (variable
compression being one of the wierdest) but few make it to
market and they are behind the curve on power output.

If the vehicle is good and the engine is good, it makes
little difference to most buyers who exactly built it.  The
fanatics will always complain and some may never buy a
"compromised" Saab, but I think updating and upgrading the
brand will keep it going where it was heading for extinction
before GM took over.

Don Mallinson