[Shotimes] RE: OT Subarus and turbos and stuff . . .

Dave Garber dgarber@servicelinklp.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:41:13 -0400

The Buick Grand National also was a V6 with one turbo. Both the GN and
the GNX came from the factory uni-turbo (the GNX had a ceramic turbo to
help combat turbo lag). The main benefit of going multi-turbo's is a
reduction in turbo-lag. Other than that, there is no hard-fast rule that
states a V engine needs twin-turbo's.

FWIW, the 87 GN we had, with a single stock turbo, would go 11.90 while
getting 30 mpg on the way home from the drags (with the air on and the
CD player pumping out Van Halen!). Man I love turbo cars!

Dave Garber
Pittsburgh, PA
99 White, 70k

   Oh yeah, by the way, the Mitsu 3000GT and Dodge Stealth are the same
car, and they have a V-6, hence the need for twin turbos. Only Saab has
tried to turbo-charge a V-6 with ONE turbo, and I know the engine mgmnt.