[OT] [Shotimes] Premium sound system question

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:55:03 -0500

Just posted something about that.  I have three different CD
players, and the difference in the electronics does allow
one of them to give much better bass than a couple of others.

But I spent a lot of my college years listening to different
high end systems, and the best transistors can equal the
best tubes, and they don't deteriorate quickly like most
tube amps do.

Ears and minds can be fooled, but the electronic instruments
of engineers can see that there is no real difference
between tube and transistor.

Stereo Review promoted the best of the best, but in true
double blind tests could prove that at the very high end,
tube or transistor didn't make any difference, just like
vinyl vs digital.

But if you prefer your tube amps, I am sure they put out
superb music, along with heating your home in the winter and
keeping the tube replacement industry going!  :)

Don Mallinson