[OT] [Shotimes] Premium sound system question

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:50:23 -0500

Ron,

Nobody will ever really solve the arguments between the
proponents of traditional audio, as in tube amps and long
play records or high speed tape, and the proponents of more
modern audio as in digital and transistors.

BUT, I have NEVER heard any audiophile of ANY type claim
that even the very best cassettes were of the quality of any
high end format.

Cassette can be very good, and I still enjoy it in a car
where background noise and tape flutter don't matter (at
least while in motion) but it by design can't really compete
with high speed tape, vinyl records or digital, the
bandwidth just isn't there.

I have a high quality Sony 1/4 track reel to reel.  The
quality of 30 year old tapes on that machine is better than
the best cassettes you can find.

As for Digital/transistor versus vinyl/tubes.  I love my old
records, and how you have to be "one" with the process by
cleaning and maintaining the system, but the very best
records and systems will eventually all get pops and clicks
from dirt and degradation of sound from wear on the grooves.
  Nobody has come up with a totally foolproof system yet.
CD quality is such that any perceived bad effects are in the
mind.  There have been many true double blind tests where CD
either wins or there is no true winner over the best analog
systems.  And many of those that claim vast differences to
the good for analog refuse to use a true double blind test.

For goodness sakes, there are still people that claim they
can hear the difference in thickness of speaker cable!  That
is such a laugh.

Buying ultra high end audio is an ego trip more than
anything.  Very good quality audio equipment is usually
worth it, but the human ear is just not good enough to hear
the differences some people claim.  And after the age of 35
or 40 most people's hearing is such that even "good" audio
isn't worth it.  Those kids running around in boom box cars
that you can hear in the next county won't be able to hear
themselves talk when they turn 25!

Don Mallinson