[Shotimes] Re: turbos and stuff ...

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 15:29:16 -0400

We each have our own likes/dislikes, so that will affect what we buy....

I'm no longer an audiophile, so as long as the tunes sound good with the
windows/moonroof open, I'm happy!!

As I posted in the discussion with Don awhile back, my desires were:

4-door with rear seat room for folks my size (6', 200#s)
5-speed manual
AWD or RWD (no more FWD....I've had enough!!)

Long story, but early last year I was considering the WRX wagon, then the
Forester XT 2.5 after the 8/2003 C&D test, then the Legacy when I saw them
at the Detroit auto show. I needed the carrying capacity (with the wife's
car being a 2-seat Del Sol) and the Subaru sedans (Impreza & Legacy) don't
have fold-down rear seats, only a pass-through.

FWIW, the R&T test against the Acura TSX in the October issue has a good
analysis by Dennis Simanaitis on the Legacy GT. I also don't understand why
they didn't have the short shifter in the press test car, as it is very
nice!

From: Ron Fleshman [mailto:insman1@charter.net]
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 1:52 PM
To: 'Ron Porter'; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Re: turbos and stuff ...

<<The Legacy GT is not the same car that it was last year. May use the same
"GT" name, but it's not even close to the car offered in 2004. Apples and
oranges.>>

I erred :).  I was thinking the car listed for $23 last year had the
Turbo-4, but it was the 6 cylinder.  My bad.

<<When compared to other AWD performance sedans, like the 330i, S60r, G35,
it is LESS money.>>

True, but I didn't state my case well.  I think the extra $8K is a lot of
money for a turbocharged engine.  But that's a matter of opinion.

<<Obviously, the stereo is a matter of opinion. I got the subwoofer option,
and to my ears, the stereo in the Legacy sounds great to me, and will suit
my needs just fine.>>

The subwoofer helps a lot, but the other speakers are very poor, but like
you say that's subjective on my part.  I do, however, expect a $30K car to
have a killer stereo.  No matter how you cut it, this car does not.  So,
once again, all you're getting for your $8K or so over the base Legacy is a
turbocharged motor.

<<BTW, I did a quick pricing on the TL that you mentioned. I get over
$38,000 sticker on it, and it's still only FWD>>

There are 5 of them on a lot here and none even reach $34K, and I don't know
the reason for that.  Maybe navigation?  Beats me.  That car does have a lot
of torque steer, but it's a lot of car, too.  For my money (not yours, Ron),
I'll take the TL.

<<The SRT4 appears to be a bit quicker in the 1/4, but it's a basic tin box.
Sorry, it is not even a car that I would remotely consider.>>

We totally agree, here.  It's a Neon.  'Nuff said.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the New Legacy GT.  In fact, I can see
myself buying one someday.  I just got sticker shock and you are right.  The
dealer is a putz.  He has a big sign on his window that says "No haggling."
That means pay my price or hit the road.  I would guess you have some stuff
on your car that these he had did not, so my guess is that your car would
cost $33K+ at his store.

I'll be anxious for you to report back how it does in the snow this winter.
I just may replace my Explorer with something else in March.  If I do, and
your reports on snow traction are what I think they'll be, I might even own
one, but I'll probably have to buy out of town to get the $26K budget I've
placed on myself.

Ron