[Shotimes] (OT) Volvo V8

kerbyh@netzero.net kerbyh@netzero.net
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:58:02 GMT

I just got Friday's Autoweek in yesterday's mail.  I should get C&D before the week is out.  I hate my post office...

Kerby

-- "Ron Porter" <ronporter@prodigy.net> wrote:
If anyone got their November C&D in the mail today, there is a review of the
new Volvo XC90 with the V8.

The article (by Steve Spence) mentions that "the engine is a reworked
version of the V-8 designed by Ford and built by Yamaha that once powered
the Taurus SHO in the mid-'90s"

Where my confusion comes in is that it later states that the engine is
totally built by Yamaha, then shipped to Sweden. Since Ford made the
original V8 SHO block based on the Duratec, then sent it to Yamaha, it
sounds like the new Volvo V8 doesn't have much in common from the
short-block perspective, but maybe the Yamaha-designed V8 heads are pretty
close. Anyway, as Paul pointed out in the diagram, it appears the sprockets
are bolted to the ends of the cams!!

The SHO is mentioned a few times in the review. For a 4,500-4,600 # vehicle,
the 4.4 311 HP engine can still get it moving to 0-60 in 7.0 seconds.