[Shotimes] tire repairs

Neno Albert neno@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:15:49 -0700 (PDT)

I wouldn't recommend plugging a radial tire or fix-a-flat as a permanent fix. The best choice you
have is to suck up the fear, ask them to be extremely careful with the rim(s) (and the bead of the
tires if they seem that inexperienced) and have them patch or plug-patch the tire from the inside.
Current standards are a plug-patch. However, I've yet to have a normal patch fail with a small
hole (from a nail or screw) in the past half decade i've worked in the tire "busting" bid.
Plug-patches are ideal for large bolt punctures, which excessive tear the radial belts in the
tire. The plug-patch also seems to be very ineffective if the technician isn't too experienced
with such a design. Many places wouldn't know what to do with these style patches. The rotten
truth of the tire business, i guess. :)

As far as charging more, I can't see this as being an issue. To charge more for a 15" basketweave
simply because it's in great shape is obnxious! I highly doubt they charge customers with new cars
more money because their employees can't get away with scratching the wheel!! In fact, you should
have the salesman visually inspect the wheel before and after the install with you. Small nicks in
the lip may be inevitable, however any gashes, dragged wheel weights, etc.. (pretty much noticable
damage) should be their liability. I know, at least, the Just Tires I work at would replace the
customers wheel or at the very least get it refinished if one of our workers were to damage it in
any way, shape or form.

Hope this helps!

Neno