[Shotimes] 3.2 swap major oil leak after start?

Bruce Malachuk bmalach1@nycap.rr.com
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:07:38 -0400

Ok what I got figured out is this. Because I'm running no upper timing
cover, I cal look down to the CPS and front crank seal. Looks dry down there
but can't be 100%, first thing tomorrow is pull all the timeing covers off
and then get the engine running witout covers. That way I can pinpoint the
leak. Had I been intelligent I would have done that to start with.

I don't believe that I could have rolled the seal on that end of the pan,
though it is possible. I did all that while the engine was upside down on
the standand I made sure that I held my fingers on the seals as I placed
them on there. I guess that if I have to pull the pan I'd be happier doing
that then the oilpump gasket while the engine is in the car. I had
tremendous cranking oil pressure while priming the engine. I was making
40psi just from the starter motor and 120F 5w30 oil. (yes I preheated the
oil in hot water) When I had the car running I was making 75psi at 1500rpm
with that 120F oil. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the
gasket possibly blowing or what not.

The engine block never had any plugs removed. This block stayed complete
with heads in my garage most of the summer. Now I did have some fireing
order problems and popping when I first started her up, but that's cause I
let someone else put the plug wires on and do the FO. I learned my lesson. 5
& 6 on the wrong coils. After fixing that I noticed the puddle on the floor.
BTW fidanza and midwest/SHOnut +20 cams gave me a nice throaty idle at 800
which barely kept running, 1500rpm the car purrs. 1100 idle and it sounds
like a normal SHO at 800ish.

It was a felpro gasket from the oil pan kit. I should have never messed with
pulling the pump off and replacing the gasket. I'mn betting that it is the
damn gasket there. The oil pump gasket requires me to drop the pan, and I
hate doing that with the SF in the car, so I might just be pulling the motor
back out.

Bruce J Malachuk

*	94 Opal Frost MTX
*	93 Emerald Green MTX