[Shotimes] How to get 300HP from your 3.0L SHO engine

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@adelphia.net
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:15:25 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Mark, Let us know results of the dyno for your 89.  When I'm ready to do
cams, I'll most likely go with the +20s.  Too chicken on the overlapping
part.

More below.
--
Cheers,
Carl Prochilo

On Thu, October 21, 2004 12:28 pm, Mark Nunnally said:

> I rode in Lance Cheney's 92 at the convention, which is a 3.2L with stage
> 2
> cams, 30 lb injectors, EH/BBB intake, 80mm MAF, UD's and exhaust, etc.  It
> makes 250 fwhp on the dynojet, and has a pretty decent low/mid range
> torque
> curve as well.  But that's a pretty strung out 3.2L, and it's probably
> barely over 300 hp at the crank.  So even getting to 100 hp/liter is still
> somewhat difficult, and those last few ponies are going to cost a lot of
> $$'s per pony.  In fact, the higher up you go, the more they cost :)

Assume this car also has an LPM to make the stage 2s work properly.  Which
mod forced the bump to the bigger injectors?

> After running 3.0L cams in my 3.2L since I put it in a 5speed car, I put a
> set of Josh's new 40 cams in the 89 last week before a track day weekend
> and
> was pleased with the on track performance.  However, you'll need a tuning
> aid to help it to run right on the street (low end/mid range is much
> better
> than I was expecting) so for the cams and a tuning aid, you are up over
> $1000.  Heck the 3.2L alone was only like $200 or $300 out of pocket.
> Then
> $500 for an EH runners and BBB's, etc.  Starts to add up, unless you can
> horse trade or buy used stuff (what I try to do, I'm cheap :).
>
> Then figure at that point for open track the stock injectors are basically
> static all the time at that point, so you drop some $$ for injectors.
> Some
> dyno time to tweak your new 1100+ kg/hr MAF curve, etc.  Dang, that 405 hp
> Z06 starts to look like more of a bargain everyday :)
>
> For a street car you want a nice fat curve, and Bang for the buck, the
> best
> drop is a healthy-j-yard 3.2L with your old 3.0L cams in there.  With just
> regular bolt ons (exhaust, MAF, etc) my 89 ran pretty good and had healthy
> dyno numbers.  Even with full weight it was  14.0-14.1 car @ 98-99 mph.
> All
> the other added stuff probably wouldn't help that much for ET, maybe mph.
> But for a street car/occasional track car, I'd just run a stock internal
> BOS
> 3.2L.  Beyond that, the $$ per hp gets up there.

I can personally attest to the fact that an MTX SHO with this
configuration is very nice and strong.  Ask DonD.