[Shotimes] How to get 300HP from your 3.0L SHO engine

Ian Fisher dataflash@yahoo.com
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:25:24 -0700 (PDT)

I Can't find the orginal post by Mark anywhere here -I
think I deleted it but I was thinking about it tonight
and I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. (just food for
thought, I'm not putting down anything that Mark said)

I think someone was discussing the cost of different
mods and EH and BBB came up (extrude honed runners and
big bore butterflies). I think in the past, these were
mods that many people stayed away from mainly because
of cost. EH from the SHOshop was $550 and you could
really only get it from the SHOshop. EH directly from
EH themselves is also marked at $550. However as more
and more people pick up SHO's 4th and 5th hand (they
aren't 2nd hand anymore), they seem willing to do
things that some of us in the past weren't always
willing to do. In the past few months, I've seen some
great group buy's on SHOforum. I never thought that I
would end up with BBB's and EH'ed runners but I got
the runners for $299 and the BBB's for $118. The BBB's
were custom machined by Kurt Gutzka in Washingston
state. This was his third run (he usually averages 12+
per run) so he's definetly doing something right.
I got my EH'ed runners back yesterday and it's
something that I'm glad that I did. I don't see how
they can possibly hurt performance and from what I've
read on shoforum, they won't. I am expecting no loss
of low end but a nice boost in the midrange and upper
rev bands. For $420, I "may" have just bought a nice
power increase. $420 would probably have bought 500hp
on a 350 in a Camaro but I've come to terms that
modifying the SHO isn't cheap. I guess the point is
that as more people get involved a lot of new
oppurtunities open up. In the past year, there has
been a new Y pipe which IMO is probably the best in
terms of value (stainless and cheaper than P+),
there's also an aluminized pipe that someone on the
SHOforum sells. New cams with higher quality grinds,
etc. The cars are getting older but the aftermarket
does seem to be growing somewhat.

Going to stop by rant now..no time for spell check.:)

Ian