[Shotimes] Rod shifter/exhaust question

cmichaelo@optonline.net cmichaelo@optonline.net
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:26:37 -0400

Ed,

Here's a relatively cheap way to fabricate an "optimal" 2 1/2" catback system for the SHO.

First, I'd buy the Dynomax system, which is basically a 2 1/4" system, though with a 2 1/2" piping used for the snake section.  I would then drop the 2 1/4" resonator section and have that section custom fabricated in 2 1/2" piping with your own personal resonator (many seem to prefer Magnaflow.)

The Dynomax snake section is already fabricated in 2 1/2" piping, so you're ok with that piece. The only caveat is that the branch section of the Dynomax catback is fabricated in 2 1/4" piping.

However, IMO this won't hurt mid/high-end performance since by the time the exhaust gases reach the branch section the velocity and volume of the gases have sufficiently decreased and thus no longer require 2 1/2" to flow freely. In fact, you may even benefit from keeping the branch section at 2 1/4" since it will increase back pressure at lower RPMs.

So I kind of view this "home made" exhaust as the optimal exhaust for the SHO.

Going 2 1/2" all the way, will hurt low-end performance. Everyone seems to have noticed this. But by compromising right in the middle, and gradually decrease the cross section as you move further backwards, I'm hoping this solve this deficiency somewhat.

Be adviced, however, that if you have a 2 1/4" Y-pipe outlet, you won't benefit anything from the 2 1/2" catback. You'd have to cut out the 2 1/4" Y-pipe outlet and have a 2 1/2" outlet welded in. (If you're interested, I can tell you more about how exactly to do this, cause I just did it.)

Michael
94MTX,green,BOS+,Koni/Intrax,Baer,Corbeau
SHO items for sale: http://hometown.aol.com/cmichaelo/for_sale.html