[Shotimes] snow tires vs all season

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:22:44 -0400

Don't waste your money on snow tires. You get less snow than we get in the
Detroit area, and I would never consider snow tires for here. Especially if
your weather is good enough by early February. We aren't safe until April
1st.

Even if you get 1-2 snows a year, unless you live way off the beaten path,
the roads should be clear within a day or two. Those tires will spend 95 out
of the 100 days of your winter season on dry or wet pavement, not snow, and
will also wear more quickly.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Ian Fisher
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 11:19 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] snow tires vs all season

I just picked up a set of slicers to use for snow
duty. Was checking some prices on a tirerack ad that I
have. Cheapest snow tires I found (IIRC) were the
Dunlop Graspic's at $84ish. I think they were 215 or
225/55/16.

In NJ we don't get a lot of snow over a long period of
time. We may get 1-2 weeks of heavy snow, so when it's
here, it can be here in full effect. I am debating
getting all seasons with good M+S ratings or cheap
snow tires. Either way, the key words are cheap, wear
and grip (in snow and dry).

As soon as the roads clear up (late Jan-feb?), the
17's with hipo rubber will go back on and the 16's
will sit in the shed for next winter.

opinions? reccomendations?

thanks
Ian