[Shotimes] snow tires vs all season

Rick Glass rick@pitroadproducts.com
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:41:51 -0500

I tend to agree more with Ron on this issue......If you can drive and have
any sense of control you can drive on good all season tires in most any
condition.  We don't get alot of snow in TN, but what we do get usually
turns to ice and has been known to stay around for a few days each snowfall.
I have never had snow tires on any car I have ever driven in snow, ice,
slush...whatever it happens to be.

I always ran 225/50/16's on my '94...yeah i know those are too wide for the
rim, well they worked, no matter the conditions....wet, dry, or ice....they
did their job better than the stock sized tires on any of my SHO's ever
have.  I took that car up and down every hill I ever needed to travel in any
weather condition.  I can't see a "snow tire" being much if any better, and
certainly not worth the extra expense and work for only a few days at a time
through the season.  Now if it snows every other day for 3-4 months maybe.

We had a 4 day run of snow and ice a few years ago when I still drove a taxi
('94 Chevy Caprice), I put 1100 miles on my cab in 3 days on snow and ice
and never once thought I needed a snow tire....

Rick Glass
   Nashville, TN
   SESHOC
'99 Silver 59k (still adding up)