[Shotimes] snow tires vs all season

John Stout sho_man1@yahoo.com
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:47:26 -0700 (PDT)

Ok so if Don lives in Southern Illinois, then what the hell do we classify where I live ??? Kentucky ??

Ron Porter <ronporter@prodigy.net> wrote:Well, I can't believe that someone in southern IL (well, WAY farther south
than I am) would need snow tires, but....living out in the middle of
nowhere, the roads probably aren't cleared as well.

For anyone living in my area who:

1. Lives farther out in the country on 2-lane roads that may never be
cleared.
2. Goes out for winter sports in heavier snow areas
3. Needs to drive on little-traveled roads that may not be cleared

May very well need snow tires. In the suburban areas, like here, during a
heavy snow, I have two blocks of snow to drive through, then the major road
gets plowed/salted pretty quickly. I need tires for slush/wet, and GOOD
all-season M&S tires work just fine.

Plus, even after a heavy snow, the roads are basically clear within a day or
two. I am not willing to sacrifice tire performance for 95-98% of the time
in winter just to have better snow performance for a few days a year.

By design, the best snow tires will have softer compounds that work in
cold/snowy weather, so they will naturally wear quicker on dry pavement. The
original Blizzaks had the soft outer layer that quickly wears on dry
pavement (they warned against it) and you then lose the ice capabilities.

To me, buying snow tires is like buying a dually F450 pickup as a daily
driver because I need to tow a big boat/travel trailer maybe 5 days in the
year. Not worth it.