[Shotimes] Pontiac unveils SHO successor?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:53:10 -0400

Don, the bulk of US car buyers are clueless rubes. Much of the move to AWD
SUVs is due to big FWD cars being as useless in bad weather as big RWD cars.
After having owned/driven smaller, lighter FWD cars, I learned in the winter
of '89 that FWD in a SHO was no picnic and had nothing on a RWD car with an
LSD and good tires, and in fact was no better than the '86 Z28 TPI AT with
no LSD that I traded in on it. In '89, my wife bought a new 5.0 GT 5-speed,
and once we got the same tires on the SHO and the GT, the GT was as good in
crappy weather as the SHO.

In my wife's opinion (and possibly mine, since I drove it), the BEST winter
car she had was a '78 Toyota 5-speed (RWD). Low power, skinny tires.

In 10+ years we will look back on these years with FWD in big, heavy cars
and comment about what a misguided direction the car mfrs took.