[Shotimes] Pontiac unveils SHO successor?

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:07:56 -0500

Ron,

As someone that grew up with lOTS of snow in central
Illinois, and with a variety of RWD cars.  The facts are
that FWD in both big and little cars is a LOT better in snow
than RWD, even RWD with posi.

My Mustang without real winter tires was positively helpless
in anything over a dusting of snow.  EVERY FWD car I have
had, including the MTX SHO is a huge leap forward in
traction in those conditions.

I agree, most car buyers here really are buying a device to
get from point A to B and don't care much about performance
beyond the basics and maybe looking good (in their own minds).

A big part of the move to big SUV's no matter what wheels
drive them has more to do with wanting to see over the next
car and thinking bigger is safer, than any perceived or real
improvement in traction in bad weather.

the other part of the move to big SUV's is because there ARE
no more real Big RWD powerful cars to tow trailers.  We
drive a truck now because you can't buy a big car that will
tow a big trailer.  There is a huge population, especially
in the midwest that has a need for something with the size
and weight and strength (both body/frame and engine) to haul.

Having had an LX 5.0L Mustang and SHO's, I know that with
equal summer or all-season tires, NO mustang will come close
to keeping up with a SHO or almost any other FWD car on
slick roads.

But there are some exceptions and like you, I had a low
powered, light, skinny tired car, an Opal Kadett station
wagon with manual tranny, RWD and with a set of snow tires
it was great in the snow, so was my 64 Beetle, but my 73
Subaru was an eye opening experience in how much better FWD
is in the snow.

Don Mallinson