[Shotimes] Pontiac unveils SHO successor?

bjshov8 bjshov8@comcast.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:28:31 -0500

> As someone that grew up with lOTS of snow in central
> Illinois

What's snow?  I don't think we have much of that down here.

> The facts are that FWD in both big and little cars is a LOT better in snow
> than RWD

Oh wait- I think we had something 5 or 6 years ago that they called snow.
The SHO didn't seem to care though.

> I agree, most car buyers here really are buying a device to
> get from point A to B and don't care much about performance
> beyond the basics and maybe looking good (in their own minds).

In Dallas its strictly image.  The people who only want to go A to B buy
Hyundai's, Corollas, Buicks, etc.  Whether they buy for image or
transportation doesn't matter- 99% of them are clueless about any other
aspects of the car.  Nobody buys SUV's to even drive on dirt roads.  Most
people who regularly have to drive on dirt roads are the type who want
pickups anyway.

> A big part of the move to big SUV's no matter what wheels
> drive them has more to do with wanting to see over the next
> car and thinking bigger is safer, than any perceived or real
> improvement in traction in bad weather.

I dare say that it is very rare to find an SUV down here that isn't 2WD so
who expects these things to have any traction advantage anyway.

I like to ridicule stupid SUV drivers.  Setting in my garage right now is a
Jeep Grand Cherokee, WITH 4WD.  We bought it because its a Jeep, because its
4WD, and because we actually use it in places where lesser SUV's fear to go.
My only regret is that we don't go more often.  I'm happy that the AWA likes
to drive it daily because I would not want to.  I much prefer my gen3.