[Shotimes] (OT) "I Want to Pump Myself Up" an ode to NJ

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:55:54 -0500

Ok, Maybe I am an Indiana idiot, but I really think that DST is
stupid.  I think that not switching your clocks make perfect sense
(there really is no added benefit) and that the way DST works is
stupid.  Lemme explain.

When it is summer, it gets light out nice and early and I drive to
work in the light, and drive home and have a nice and sunny afternoon
to enjoy.  Great.

Now comes fall and the clock moves one hour forward... effectivly
making it get light one hour earlier.  As the days shorten my
afternoon amount of sunlight gets smaller, and DST takes an hour of
that away.

Now currently when winter hits, it's dark when I go to work (7am).
and it really does not get light until about 8 or later.  When I go
home I usually have about 30 minutes of dayllight, if I can get out of
work on time (leaving at 4pm) it's nice to have light in the afternoon
if you need to do something.  Especially something outdoors.  Now if
you add DST, I still get to work at 7am, which is basically just as it
gets light, and I still go home at 4pm, and guess what...  It's dark.
Every time.

Basically DST meansd that you give up any afternoon sunlight you would
otherwise get in the winter.  Sure it's winter, but it is still not
unreasonable.  I had a chance to try this theory in a farther north
area that does have DST (Germany).  Guess what, it was dark most of
the hours when I was trying to get things done.  I hated it.

Come on really, think about it, what is the advantage to DST?  I think
it's ridiculous.  Don't tell me "the farmers want it"  I live in the
middle of farm country, we don't want it.  It's stupid, plain stupid.
Make it go ther other way, that makes sense.  Make it so I have an
extra hour of daylight in the afternoon.

my .02 from an IN village idiot.