[Shotimes] RE: PCV extractor and vacuum in crankcase

Bruce Malachuk bmalach1@nycap.rr.com
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:14:32 -0400

I have a Mr. Gasket crank case vacuum kit sorto of installed into one side
of my y-pipe on my opal frost. This is then connected up to the oil
seperator line that useed to be attached to the TB. The valve cover is
capped, as are the ports on the TB and the intake itself for providing air
or vacuum. The Mr. Gasket like alot of other CCV kits has a metal one way
valve that screws on to the connector at the y-pipe, only drawback is that
it makes an annoying clicking noise that can be heard from the car.

I know it makes a good vacuum, when running anything over 2500 cause the
valve stops clicking and I know that means that it's got a pull of vacuum on
it constantly. Also my oil loss from my old leaky valve cover gaskets has
stopped since the CCV was re-attached and rerouted to get rid of the burned
holes in the hose that were causing leakage.

I was looking at the PCV valve on the gen3 and thinking that there must be a
way for me to incorporate that valve into the system and get rid of the loud
clicking metal valve on my y-pipe. Am I correct in thinking that the PCV
valve on the gen3 or some other car would close when there is no vacuum and
open when there was vac pulling on the outlet part? Like a spring loaded
valve?

I have yet to hook a line up to it and measure my crank case vaccum at idle,
cruise, or WOT, but even at idle with +20 cams I hear the clicking of the
valve opening and closing so the exhaust pluses on half the y-pipe must be
enough to cause some vacuum to be created at idle. I am considering tapping
the rear valve cover and assing a vent with a filter in the rear and doing
the same for the front fresh air line. Prolly will t them together and put
them into a small K&N breather filter, was also thinking of putting
something in there to limit the airflow so that it wouldn't negate the
vacuum effects. Something along the line of an alumuinm rod with a hole
drilled thru the middle to allow a little airflow to vent crank case gases
but enouhg to keep it from not pulling a vacuum at say 2000+.

Bruce J Malachuk

*	94 Opal Frost MTX

*	93 Emerald Green MTX - SOLD

*	93 Black ATX - New Parts CAR

*	95 Silver Frost ATX SE - SLO -Buyer waiting

*	96 TR - Cam Failed parts car :-(

  _____