[Shotimes] Re: PCV extractor and vacuum in crankcase

Paul Nimz pnimz@v8sho.com
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:23:06 -0500

You know they make Vacuum regulators for cheap.  They are called PCV valves.

What I would do if I was in fear is put a 4 cylinder PCV valve on the front
cam cover connected backwards so fresh air is being drawn into the cam cover.
Attach to this the ricers small air filter of choice.  Then install a tee in
the line going from the oil separator to the exhaust piece.  Attach a vacuum
gauge to this and go hot rodding.

Only then can you tell if you have too much vacuum.  I consistently run 8-12 "
Hg of crankcase vacuum but under light load conditions and at WOT  0" Hg.
This mod that you are doing will do the opposite.  It will create the highest
vacuum with the increased exhaust flow.  I would look for 15" Hg at peak for a
goal.  The higher, the better and you should see a very reduced reading most
of the time.  It is only at WOT that the high vacuum will be present and
strongest.

At WOT there is also the greatest creation of blowby gasses too.  This will
mitigate the high vacuum levels to a certain extent.  But this will be offset
by lessening the blowby by sealing the rings better because of the high
vacuum.

Paul