[Shotimes] PCV extractor and vacuum in crankcase

Dave Kegel d.kegel@comcast.net
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:42:18 -0500

I gotta ask.  Why bother?

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of van Oss
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 8:09 PM
To: V8 SHO; shotimes@autox.team.net; TechSHO
Cc: Paul Nimz
Subject: [Shotimes] PCV extractor and vacuum in crankcase

I am a faithful disciple of the apostle Paul [Nimz].  Yet verily, he hath
struck fear into my heart.  Paul and I have been talking about installing a
PCV extractor kit on my 92.  Basically it uses a pipe welded into the
cat-back at a 45-degree angle (venturi effect) to draw crankcase fumes into
the exhaust stream.  Crankcase vacuum makes a little HP (thank you, Smokey
Yurick) and safeguards the intake air plumbing from automotive emphyszema.

The question is whether to close off the opening in the front cam cover, to
generate max vacuum.  If so, words like "collapse some seals" test my faith.

Do I just drive around and see if my front and rear crank seals implode?

Ah, once again VO gets to experience the bleeding edge of innovation.
Smokey, where are you when I need you?  Bet he's not answering emails.

VO