[Shotimes] engine stumbling

Zach Leahy leahyz@gmail.com
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:35:11 -0500

Ok, Fuel pressure regulator needs to be thought of for a moment.

The fuel pressure regulator is driven by the manifold vaccum.  More
vaccum and the pressure drops, less pressure and it increases.

At Idle you are getting about 24 in Hg and that coincides well with
the pressure you have listed at idle.

When you blip the throttle, the mnifold vacuum goes down to near 0
inches Hg.  Pressure goes up accordingly. Just like yours did.

When you slowly open the throttle the vaccum level is still pretty
high, probably near 20 inches Hg.  In reality pressure should be
somwhere between your two pressures.  your's is not.

But testing fuel pressure is only one deal.  The pump must be able to
handle the volume of WOT driving (which you say seems to be ok).  That
is the highest fuel consumption period, so the highest amount of fuel
goes into the rail and out the injector, instead of returning to the
tank.  If the volume capacity of the pump were to dip, then the
problem would be seen as the car leaning out at WOT and high RPM.
However, it seems to me there are two failure modes for a pump.
Volume failure, as described here, or pressure failure.  Pressure
failure may be due to faulty pump valve, or a few other things.  If
the pump stops turning, it fails on both accounts.  :)

Now, here's a noteworthy thing, if the  volume capacity begins  o drop
past a particular threshold, then the pressure will begin to drop.
That threshold is based on the consumption of fuel by the engine.  The
FPR can only block so much flow and get a pressure on it, before it is
blocking almost all of the flow and the pressure begins to dip.

So all to say, your numbers seem to indicate that your pump is having
trouble supplying enough volume, and therfore the pressure is
dropping.  It would be interesting to see how the pressure dips/rises
as you drive the car on the highway, but then you would need an in car
Fuel Pressure gauge which is mucho dinero.