[Shotimes] $200 SHO is gone

Randy Palmer randy_palmer@hotmail.com
Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:59:36 +0000

Well, my 200 dollar SHO is gone, sold to Kirk Doucette, probably to be
parted out and used in various projects.

I bought the car with 6800 miles on it back when George Bush the First was
getting ready to launch on Iraq the first time.

There was a lot of undertainty then and dealers weren't moving a lot of cars
so I was able to get it for about $10,000 off it's original list price.

Don't worry, I made up for that one good deal by getting raped on my
Cobra...

It's been a great 160,000+ miles.  If they still made them today, I probably
would've bought another one.  Even with the heavy maintenance cost for a
non-mechanic.

It's one of the top 10 engines ever made.  It's pure magic when it's running
for the redline, and I'll miss that greatly.

For it's day (1990), it was a remarkably advanced machine with features that
woudl be contemporary today, fifteen years later.  It was a near equivalent
to a BMW M5 back then.

I wonder what got into Ford that this thing actually got produced?  I wonder
what got into Ford over the intervening years that it's like is not being
produced today?

Socaiety has changed. Mass markets have changed.  The pressure on businesses
to meet the numbers for the current quarter out-weigh all other
considerations.

So I guess it was just a remarkable confluence of happenstance.  The planets
aligned just right...

My SHO ownership and this list reminds me of my father's obsession with the
1940-48 Lincoln Continental Mark I's.  A whole fraternity and support
network grew up around these vehicles, they were luxurious and had an
amazing engine (for the day).  Except it was before the internet...

Of couse, the SHO was still a Ford and all the stupid Ford stuff kept
breaking and irritating me.  The intermittent wipers that'd go bad and need
a new wiper stalk.  Some squeaks and rattles.  The dealership organization.
The seat belts that wouldn't retract.

But it was all worth it when the butterflies opened at 4 grand.

Over the years, my car got kind of tired, kind of rusty.  The repairs grew
more frequent.

I've replaced it with a 2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.8 turbo with a 5 speed.  Which
the AWA has already claimed as HER car.

It's pretty nice.  Real tight, luxurious, good spunk, handles excellent.  If
I'd known Audi's were this nice I would've gotten one instead of the Cobra
-- which has it's own charm and attraction in it's own brutal, powerful way
-- but it's not as nice and not as comfortable as the SHO, and certainly not
a car to be driven year round.

Anyway, it's been a great ride.  I envy you guys (and gals) your SHO
ownership and I count myself lucky to have been in the right place at the
right time to have been part of this fraternity.

I'll probably lurk on the list for another 5-10 years, but this chapter in
my automotive life has come to a close.

Take care, keep doing those 60k's, replace the rod bearings every now and
then, and I'll see you on the road.

  -RP