[Shotimes] Lightweight 16x7-16x8 wheels?

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally <marknunnally@joimail.com>
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:52:37 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

16x8" in SHO sizes are almost impossible to find, I gave up after several years :)

Josh's TD PR1 17x8" wheels are pretty good.  Lots of 17" sizes available in this range.  These have the largest caliper to spoke clearance of just about any SHO fitment wheel I've seen, they are very "open" for good brake cooling, and are strong.  Right at ~20 lb, so fairly light.  (these will fit a forged superlight wilwood caliper for a 1.1" rotor under the spokes WITH a stock size hat).

If you want a 16x7" the TD PRII's are much nicer looking (IMHO) 5 spoke.  I dunno about putting a 245 race tire on there though.  Something like the V700 line measures pretty wide to begin with.

I plan to run 225/45/17 V700's on my 17x8".  Tom Smith already has a set, they measure (real world tread patch) about 3/4' wider than my 225/50/16's mounted on 16x7.5" rims.  Toyo makes an RA-1 in 235 size that would fit nicely as well, I was impressed with the speed of kegel's RA-1s against my (fairly worn) V700 at putnam.  Enough to make me want to try a set of RA-1s (typically have a really nice/long life for a R spec DOT tire)

best bang for the buck are ASA JS5 16x7.5" with 225/50/16 rubber.  fairly light wheel (~20 lb) strong and are pretty open for cooling.  tirerack has them for $109

mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Malachuk <bmalach1@nycap.rr.com>
Sent: Aug 5, 2005 1:11 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net, TechSHO@topica.com, v8sho@v8sho.com
Subject: [Shotimes] Lightweight 16x7-16x8 wheels?

Now that I have my 17x7 daily street tires on the car and I'll finally get
to put the SHOstopper Jr wilwoods on, I need to find myself a set of nice
wide 16x7 or 16x8 rims that will clear the brakes and let me run something
up to a 245 wide tire for events where my normal street rims just won't do.

Anyone have some suggestions for what rims I should be looking at?

Bruce J Malachuk

*	94 Opal Frost MTX

*	93 Emerald Green MTX - SOLD

*	93 Black ATX - New Parts CAR

*	95 Silver Frost ATX SE - SLO -Buyer waiting

*	96 TR - Cam Failed parts car :-(