[Shotimes] Shopping List for 60K

bjshov8 bjshov8@comcast.net
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 21:57:36 -0500

I tend to think of certain wear items that need to be replaced on a
schedule, such as timing belts, spark plugs, oil & filters.  With my SHO I
thought I would be a conscientious owner and replace the belt on schedule.
That was a long time ago and we didn't know about replacing CPS's, front
main seals, and so forth.  I did consider changing the water pump but
couldn't get one in time so I didn't.  A few weeks later the CPS failed,
while I was driving 140 miles to my parents house on Thanksgiving morning.
I replaced the CPS on the day after thanksgiving, still couldn't get a water
pump with no advance notice.  Then a few weeks later you can guess- the
water pump failed.

We've had a lot of experience since then.  I think it is worthwhile to
change all of this stuff at the same time, somewhere between 60k miles and
100k miles, if for no other reason than to keep the water pump or CPS from
failing at an inopportune time.  My second 60k came around about the same
time that I discovered the car had "crank cancer", so I gathered up timing
belt, front seal, CPS, water pump, new crank gear, and key, and did it all
at the same time.

> I think that there are two schools about the 60K and I'm of the OLD
SCHOOL. My